What was Maria Montessori’s basic philosophy?
- Providing a balance between freedom and structure in an environment prepared especially for the child.
- Providing materials that allow for progressive learning through manipulation.
- Realizing the innate potential of the child and his ability to develop along his/her own natural lines in his/her “sensitive periods”
What are the Montessori materials?
- A single material isolates one concept to be learned
- Materials progress from simple to complex in design and usage
- Materials progress from concrete to abstract
- Materials have built-in controls of error
- Categories of materials are: practical life, sensorial, language, math and culture (art, music, geography, science and history)
What are the goals for a child in a Montessori environment?
- Love of learning
- Sense of personal dignity
- Sense of order
- Ability to work alone and with others
- Ability to concentrate well
- Enjoyment of repetition
- Pleasure and fulfillment in work for its own sake